Carole Wahome, a renowned fashion columnist and designer shared useful tips for everyone on appropriate clothing in different occasions. According to her, we should check first the location stated on the invitation card to determine what to wear.
Wahome said that gone are the days where dress codes are limited to formal or informal attire only. There are events that call for casual, cocktail, business or smart casual attire.
Here are some of the useful tips she shared:
1. Casual attire is needed if the invitation states informal wear. This doesn’t mean that you should wear just an old shirt and jeans. This invitation may call for simple Sunday attire. Don’t wear flip flops.
2. For events that require cocktail attires, women are advised to wear a pre-evening look that consists of a black dress or classy top with fitted skirt. Men can get away with a fine-looking jacket or a suit.
3. Formal events mean conservative attires that compose of dark-colored suits. Having a plain white shirt may not be appropriate because you might be mistaken for a waiter. Women can wear knee-length dresses in these occasions.
4. Business attire is needed for formal daytime events like a major business meeting or going to court.
5. A simple polo shirt together with a jacket can create a smart casual look for guys and cotton flowery dresses for the ladies. These are for events that are not too casual and not too formal.